Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WEEK 5 - DAY 3

Finally kicked that virus in the butt and back to 100%.   I was aching for a workout and had been planning on adding another day of resistance training, so I decided to try and get in a quick chest and back workout on Monday.  Had to keep it short and sweet because there was alot to do around the gym since I had been out all weekend but I did manage to get in a couple of sets of 135lbs for 15 reps and went up to 185lbs for 12 reps.  This was a whole lot better than the 95lbs I was struggling to do during my Week One - Day 5 workout with Ben; or not being able to do a single push-up just a little over a year ago.  Scar tissue from my surgery still hurts a bit if I try to bounce the bar off my chest, but that just forces me to focus and maintain proper control as I do my repetitions.

Tuesday hit and it was time for Star Max again.  Today Kevin had switched up the dumbbells for barbells.  Every workout with Kevin is something new to shock your system, so even though we had used these barbells before I had no idea what he had in store for us.  When I walked onto the court my barbell was all set up and waiting for me .........and Kevin had raised the weight on me again.


--Sprints: 3 x baseline to baseline
--Dynamic Stretch: high knees, butt kicks, frankensteins, heel tuck(in), heel tuck(out) baseline to baseline and broken up by sprints



--Deadlift, Clean & Press: 55lbs x 15 reps
**This exercise is a combination of a regular deadlift, a clean and military shoulder press
--Chest Press w/ Leg Raise: 55lbs x 12 reps
--Wide Push Up: 15 reps
--Barbell Bicep Curls: 55lbs x 12 reps
--Diamond Push Up: 12 reps

Here we took the 45 second rest that I thought we should have had after those burpees.  Kevin said that the bicep curls were active recovery and we could catch our breath then though.....yeah, right.

--Ab Toe Touches: 30 reps (Legs up and feet apart)
--Russian Twists: 30 reps

Another 45 second break and my abs were on fire.  

--Backpedal Suicides: 3 x baseline to baseline
--Heel Walk: baseline to baseline
--Toe Walk: baseline to baseline

These backpedal suicides are a quadriceps killer and I really couldn't get through them fast enough.  Just like regular suicides except you have to backpedal the entire way through.  Heel and toe walks as active recovery, a  60 second break to catch our breaths and then we went through the entire circuit again, starting with abs.


--Ab Toe Touches: 30 reps (Legs up and feet apart)
--Russian Twists: 30 reps
--Deadlift, Clean & Press: 55lbs x 15 reps
**This exercise is a combination of a regular deadlift, a clean and military shoulder press
--Chest Press w/ Leg Raise: 55lbs x 12 reps
--Wide Push Up: 15 reps
--Shuffle & Burpee12 reps
--Barbell Bicep Curls: 55lbs x 12 reps
--Diamond Push Up: 12 reps

All done and a great start to the week.  I was worn out after this workout though, so I grabbed a protein shake on my way out of the gym and then headed home and jumped right in bed.  Two more workouts and some extra cardio should wrap up this week quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment