Sunday, January 16, 2011

WEEK ONE - DAY 5

Today I wrapped up my first week of training by working out with Ben.  I didn't know what to expect but was definitely looking forward to seeing what my trainer had in store.  Came into the gym and was turning around a bit trying to set up a kickboxing demo with a new group fitness instructor, when Ben made me aware that it was time and I was on the clock. We walked over to the bench press where Ben began to put a 10lb plate on each side of the bar and started to explain that we would be starting with the bench press and using that weight to do a circuit training workout.  Only 65lbs though on the bench press though?  I let him know that I just bench pressed 275lbs with ease the other day and was pretty sure I could handle more than 65lbs.  "Let's at least start with 95lbs. I can do that".....at least that's what I thought.  Ben just smiled loaded up the bar with my desired weight and we began....

--Bench Press: 95lbs x 20 reps
--Barbell Row: 95lbs x 20 reps
--Close Grip Bench Press: 95lbs x 20 reps

It was at this point in the circuit that I started to wonder if I had bitten off a little more than I could chew.  I was supposed to be doing skullcrushers but 2 reps in and my arms just wouldn't extend, so we had to switch to a triceps exercise that didn't isolate my triceps so much.

--Barbell Bicep Curls: 65lbs x 20 reps

No that's not a typo.  You read it properly......65lbs.  We started this exercise off with 95lbs on the bar but  the burn in my arms and chest was just too intense I was only able to do 2 or 3 reps.  When picking the weights to use for a circuit workout, you want to try and use a weight that is challenging but not too heavy for you.  The goal of the circuit is not to work to failure on each exercise but to complete each exercise before moving on to the next.

--Incline Bench Press: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Barbell Deadlift: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Clean & Press: 65lbs x 20 reps
**This exercise is a combination of a regular clean with a military shoulder press
--Barbell Squat: 65lbs x 20 reps

At this point we took a much needed 3 minute breather.  This first time through the circuit took a little over 10 minutes and we had one more round to go.  This time I kept my mouth shut about the weights and just assumed the starting position.

--Bench Press: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Barbell Row: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Close Grip Bench Press: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Barbell Bicep Curls: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Incline Bench Press: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Barbell Deadlift: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Clean & Press: 65lbs x 20 reps
**This exercise is a combination of a regular clean with a military shoulder press
--Barbell Squat: 65lbs x 20 reps
--Medicine Ball Woodchopper: 2 sets11lbs x 20 reps

Two times through the entire circuit took about 30 minutes, including the 3 minute break and the numerous times I had to pause to catch my breath.  Our initial goal for this workout is to be able to get through the entire circuit with as few stops as possible and then to be able to add a 3rd and 4th set into that same 30 minute time frame.  I finished up today by stretching and then jumping on the treadmill for a 15 minute cooldown.  My plan this week is to add a couple of days of cardio to my 3 workout days, in order to improve my cardiovascular endurance and help me get through these circuit training workouts without fighting to catch my breath so much.  

As this first week of the program comes to an end, I find myself excited about getting back into a regular routine and wondering how I could ever have gone this long.  I LOVE WORKING OUT.......this is great:)   I hope that everyone will find this blog motivating and/or educational.  I've started linking videos and links for exercises I'm doing in my workouts in case anyone wants to try them; and if you want to experience it all for yourself, you know where to find me.  Looking forward to sharing my gains and results over the next couple of weeks.  




1 comment:

  1. So Ben just took a look at my blog and it seems I blacked out somewhere in the workout, because I completely left bicep curls out of the workout. Ben reminded me that it was a "8 piece" he hit me with on Saturday, so I've made corrections:)

    ReplyDelete